Saturday, December 12, 2020

City Dungeon: Ch 31 - Base camp

 Now that we were at location we needed hustle today to get ourselves out of sight from the main road. However abandoned the road seemed you may never know who would find us and cause trouble. So we head towards the mountain far enough that we could see anyone come to us from miles ahead and prepare accordingly. Mostly disguising or hiding ourselves in time will be the most.

Once closer to the mountains, I decide this place would be the center of the city and we will start with our base here. I gather everyone around me in a circle. 

"It's an about an past noon right now and the sun will go down before we know it. We need to setup temporary camps around until we built more permanent houses and we need something for tonight as well. So, Darrak you get on it asap."

"Yes, I'm on it Spike. We dwarfs will built camps for all of us. How many camps would we need?"

"I'm not sure, pair all us in two if possible. I will let Andro help you decide on it and Andro, I think we should keep logs and ledgers on our people and jobs in hand so that we can keep track of who we have and what we need to do. You can handle that I assume?"

"Ok, I will write it down." 

"Next, Jordan I want you to help everybody unpack and carry their stuff, use your telekinesis powers and summons as labor"

"Agreed!"

"Next we will need to prepare food for all of us and fire wood to cook it. I will assign you Laria and the ladies on food and Agalac and Gnas on fire wood."

"Yes master!" - all, together.

"We also need a good source of water and the sooner we get on with it the better it will be for us."

As soon as I said that, Garthos plunged his hand into the land. He seemed to do it with ease as if it was sand for him. He picked up few dirt and gave it a lick. He raised his hand and pointed at the direction he seemed to have known where water would be. Quite handy he have come to be, I thought.

"Okay, seems like Garthos knows where we can find water." He nods to agree. 

"I will go check it out. You, Viredeo, check out the perimeter, about 1 km around from here and keep an eye out for by passers."

I thought I assigned everyone something and declare Andro as in charge when I would be missing.

"We would like to help too" Bart and Megan seemed eager to participate.

"Oh right, You guys look weary from your journey, I don't want to impose any thing hard for now. You guys can follow me for now,  if you want to. Personally, I would like to talk and learn more about humans. Also, I believe you would have questions too. It must be difficult to adapt to all this at once but I will try my best to make you feel no different."

Once agreed, Garthos walked ahead while Bart and I followed. Megan decided to stay back and help with food along other ladies.

"Bart, do you know who owns this land we are in"

"It's been disputed and fought over for generation. Both Transmirer and Friscans claim it to be theirs."

"I plan to buy these lands but don't know whom to buy it off."

"I believe you will have to buy it off both of them. Also it is bound to be cheap because none actually own it and none actually want the trouble."

"I will get on it first thing tomorrow, do you want to come with me?"

"Me... to Friscos?"

"Yes, why not, and Tranmire too later. I know we just met today but I'm not afraid to trust you and it will be good opportunity to build our relation, don't you think?"

"I would love to go and show you around Friscos and Tranmire."

We talked about our lives before, the city we lived in and after walking for about 15 minutes Garthos stops and points at the ground.

"Where's the water Garthos, this is hard ground."

He keeps pointing to the ground.

"I don't think he understands our language" Bart added and we both laughed.

Annoyed Garthos starts digging. He seems quite good at too. He will be good for building foundations I thought. In no time Garthos dug a very deep hole and came back from another hole all wet. He than spat out water and pointed down again.

Looking at what he just did, I suddenly had a brillaint idea.

"Garthos can you dig a hole from here all the way to our base so that this water can flow upto there?" 

He seemed worried and I knew that was too much to ask.

"I know it's hard but it's very important for us to get this water. I will guide you to the base from up here, once you are down there where water is, you just listen to my footstep and follow me underground. Can you do it?"

He nods and jumps into the hole again. Then we walked back hoping he was following. It seemed like he was, I knew he was connected to ground more than anything, he could easily read the slightest vibration in the ground. Soon we reached near our base and I ask him to come out by knocking on the ground hoping he would understand. He did come out all muddy and scuffed. He gave and quick shake and gave a proud smile.

"Well done! Garthos. You are the best"

I then alert Andro and the guys about what has happened and ask Darrak to get a well built around that hole Garthos came out of.

Next: City Dungeon: Ch 32 - Monsters in Friscos

No comments:

Post a Comment